Online gambling has been a major attraction to a number of users around the globe. A huge amount of time is spent by many playing their favourite games. Gradually with time it turns out to be more of addiction than just fun. Besides that, online gambling pose significant threat to the users which people tend to overlook. With growing cyber threats all over the world, hacking of accounts, of tracking personal information can lead to disastrous results.
Online casinos may be vulnerable to a wide array of criminal activities. Fake identities or criminal proceeds can be easily used while transacting via online casinos.
Some of the major problems or risks associated with online casinos are:
- Sudden closure of websites or refusal of paying back money of customers may result in significant loss to many online gamers since there is lack of credibility and accountability.
- Access to credit/debit card details to fraudsters may create problems and can become a possible threat of hacking financial accounts of people. It may actually be possible in case an online gamer is unable to detect an illegal website.
- With personal information being shared while creating an account n such websites, problem of image personification could be another possible threat.
- Also, personal information being shared can possibly be sold to other organisations thus resulting in increased number or spam emails and calls.
- Children and teenagers (minors) who are usually not able to understand the pros and cons of such websites may actually end up misusing it since real identity can be easily faked over internet.
- Easily accessibility to internet casinos can become a nuisance for those already suffering from addiction to online gambling.
- Another major problem with online casinos is not setting up an upper limit of spending for the users. This can result in out of the pocket spending by many while not realising the consequences attached to it.
- Online casinos have gradually resulted in increased problems of money laundering.
- Unscrupulous gambling websites usually have malware, Trojans, viruses’ installed on their website thus crashing the machines of the users.
- Usually with online gambling problem is realised only when the damage is done and hence precautionary measures are not taken.
- Interaction with strangers especially by children could create problems if they share personal information.
With so many possible threats attached to online gambling, it is important for users to be aware of them. It is also important to realise the thin line attached between enjoyment and addiction in online gambling. It can lead to disastrous and irreversible results if not checked on time. Several websites will lure their customers into it, but one has to be their own best judge and act wisely and decide what best serves their interest. Thus there are a number of risks involved with online casinos and one needs to be extremely careful when using them.